the day she said "YES!" by: bryan m.

on Thursday, September 3, 2009

(Tues. September 1, 2009)

Tuesday night is date night. Sarah and I were supposed to go running, then enjoy one of her amazing home-cooked meals. In a burst of spontaneity, I postponed these activities announcing that I now knew how to dedicate our little altar to The Lord we had fashioned (out of uncut stones) in a spot down along the little creek. Said venue being our place to sit, talk, pray, emote, love factory, relax . . . After a recent discussion with Sarah’s Mima, I had come to find the perfect Hebrew phrase needed to dedicate our prayer space.

Remember that time described in Genesis 22, where G-d asks Abraham to sacrifice his son? After, perhaps the longest hike in recorded history, G-d faithfully provides a ram and Abraham names the altar they had built ‘The Lord will provide’ (Yahweh yeeray).

Under this guise, I was able to place all the elements necessary for this moment while retaining the element of surprise. Citronella candles to ward off pesky insects, prayer incense to enhance the spiritual atmosphere, a Bible to present G-d’s Word on the matter at hand. Nervously, I laid out three pictures of Sarah and I from our dating past, each with one of the Hebrew words for love ‘raya’, ‘ahava’, and ‘dod’.

I explained that we have much to be thankful for from our heavenly Father. The Lord has provided, is providing, and will continue to provide. I explained the three Hebrew words for love and how each of them apply in our relationship. I said much of what I wanted to tell her, forgot the rest, then blurted “I just really want to marry you.”. Sarah’s encouraging reply, “Yeah, I know”, showed a bit of misunderstanding. Emphatically, I reinforced “I mean, I would like you to be my wife!”. Shock! Surprise! “Ohh, you mean now? We are doing this now? Yes, yes!”. Indeed, and here we go!

While still a bit baffled, I gave her the re-purposed canister bearing tokens of my love. She fell backwards, enjoying the moment, rolled around a little. I helped her up and explained my gift. As recorded in Genesis 24, Abraham sends a servant out to find Isaac a wife. After some doubt, deliberation, and prayer, The Lord again provides and the servant gives Rebekah a nose ring and two bracelets. Sarah graciously received handmade nose rings and a bracelet. We prayed. I reiterated my love and promised to serve her while washing her little feet in that little creek.

Delight yourself in The Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. (Ps. 37:4 is true.)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one of the most beautiful things I've read in a while. It speaks so much to what the Lord is preparing in both of your hearts. I love watching it unfold.

Susanna Joy said...

{le sigh}
So happy for you guys.
Can't wait to welcome Wonderful New Brother! :)

Nan said...

I love you both so very very much.What an amazing story...what amazing love..
How blessed I am to witness and share this time with you!

"Welcome",... my newest son.

Much Love,
Nan

IKP said...

I am in tears at my desk here at school....and love you both and am so proud!

Anonymous said...

Sounds biblically romantic. Congratulations! Uncle Terry

Tiffiney Photography said...

how beautiful! i'm so happy for you guys!

Rob said...

oh yeah! can't wait to celebrate with you guys :)